Monday 18 April 2011

Forget It.

According to a news report I read today, a Cambridge academic has claimed that it’s inaccurate to celebrate Maundy Thursday on a Thursday, since he’s calculated the date of the Last Supper as Wednesday 1st April AD33.

Having survived a brief paralysis of incredulity, I was going to write a long post about this. But then I realised that too much was uncertain. Firstly, I couldn’t decide whether my rant was going to be about the ease with which people take irrational cultural dogma, the pronouncements of the Church, and the unreliable canonical Gospels at face value, or the absurd lengths to which an academic will go to get his name in print. Secondly, journalists do have an unfortunate habit of twisting stories, either through stupidity, ignorance or ulterior motive, so I had no way of knowing whether the story I’d read was any more reliable than the canonical Gospels. Thirdly, I questioned whether I really cared anyway. Much about both religion and the world of academe strikes me as absurd already, so why should I care if both were disappearing up their own arses singing Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam?

In the end, I didn’t bother.

No comments: