Monday 11 April 2011

The Need to be Interesting.

I had my novella The Gift Horse rejected by a publisher today. The rejection itself didn’t bother me; rejections never do. Neither did the fact that it had taken them eight months to get back to me. What bothered me was the reason:

‘The plot is interesting, and the main character is likeable, but it isn’t quite what we’re looking for.’

Why does the main character have to be likeable? I’ve come across this in the submission guidelines of some publishers before. ‘Make sure your MC is likeable.’ There seems to be an axiom in the formula fiction mindset that a story is only worth publishing if the reader can take vicarious pleasure from putting him or herself in the shoes of the main character. And that means the MC has to be likeable. The notion has something to commend it, but does it have to be that way? I wouldn’t say that either Heathcliff or Catherine Earnshaw are likeable. Is Count Dracula likeable? It seems to me that the MC needs only to be a credible pivot around which the plot can circulate effectively.

And I would say that she was wrong in her opinion of my MC anyway. He isn’t likeable. He’s me, and is a relatively colourless figure who facilitates the solving of a mystery, and through whom the more interesting characters function. That’s how I want him.

And now would you please all stand and sing hymn number 47, Rock of Ages Cleft for Me.

There’s a post I keep meaning to make about that hymn. Later, maybe.

2 comments:

Della said...

Sounds like a sentence from an overworked intern who – for a fleeting moment of diminished reasoning – thought it would actually be consoling. But I do agree with you, Jeff, it's absurd. I mean, the main character – as well as other characters – must be convincing, not necessarily likeable. I can also recall countless stories where the narrator and/or MC is nothing to leave home about. Publishers should just be honest and say, "we don't think this will bring us the jackpot we're looking for right now."

JJ said...

Ah well, Della, I do remember how much pleasure I got from writing and 'living' that story. The pretty girl, the trip to Ireland, the spring lambs and raggedy gorse bushes, the paranormal mystery, the high emotion. I tell you, it beat watching a dozen good films. So maybe that's all that matters.Job done.