Monday 4 April 2011

Not Connecting.

I went out with a woman once who asked me what sort of music I liked.

‘Gaelic,’ I said.

‘Oh, so do I,’ she said. ‘I love Scottish pipe bands.’

I knew it was a mistake to go out with her. Not only was she a Virgo, she had her whole house carpeted with white, shag-pile carpet. And her pictures of Constable’s bloody Haywain and the like were hung at all the wrong levels. All in all, she was a bit of a disaster. I tried to explain that Scottish pipe music isn’t Gaelic, but I obviously wasn’t getting through. Her daughter was in thrall to her, and she was even worse.

I’m not sure why I’m writing this, much less posting it. I think it’s because I’m inebriated and have just listened to The Waylin Jennys rendition of Old Man

Daniel O’Donnell isn’t Gaelic music either. Daniel O’Donnell is what you listen to when you’ve eaten something you shouldn’t and need to bring it up.

Time for bed, I think.

2 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

My architecture teacher introduced me to the Waylin Jennys earlier this semester, and I've been infatuated with them.

I prefer uilleann pipes to highland pipes, and I won't go any further in regards to piping, pipe bands, and gaelic music. Though I will say I've never heard of a pipe band of uilleann pipes (that's not to say they don't exist), if that says anything.

JJ said...

The tipsy rant skipped lightly over a complex issue, Kaetlyn. Firstly, I should make the distinction between a lone Scottish piper playing a clan lament (which is Gaelic, I think, and very beautiful) and the military style pipe bands playing catchy tunes. I went to a pipe festival once featuring Uillean, Scottish and Northumbrian pipers. It was explained that the Scottish pipe is much less versatile than the other two, and also that it evolved as a war instrument. They said that that the alternative term for the standard Scottish bagpipe is ‘the War Pipe.’ The sheer volume of it also makes it unsuitable for playing indoors. I suppose that’s why it developed into the pipe band with its military, ceremonial connection Not my idea of music, I’m afraid.

The Waylin Jennys, on the other hand, are my idea of music. I was introduced to them recently through a blog post. So blogs have their uses!