Sunday 10 April 2011

...and a Bit of Inspiration...

I’ve played the video of Susan McKeown’s An Mhaire Bhruinnall at least half a dozen times today (I was hoping McCafferty would tell me what it means, even without the fadas.)

I can’t get enough of this. The driving rhythm, the orgasmic waves, the clouds like herds of galloping wild horses. This is good stuff. In case you missed it the first time, it’s here. If you have a taste for the elemental, the exotic, the Romantic or the fantastical, or if you just like all things Gaelic, you won’t regret watching.

2 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

Mhaire Bhruinnall. Maire is Mary, and bruinneall translates along the lines of "fair maiden." My assumption is "(the) fair maiden Mary" though I assume it could potentially be treated as a surname as well. I've never heard the song, and will definitely take a listen, at that.

JJ said...

You were the first person I thought of when I heard and saw this, Kaetlyn, for many reasons. The final shot of the racing clouds said 'galloping horses' immediately, although I suppose you could also see it as white water. Thanks for the translation.