Tuesday 5 April 2011

Protecting Who?

I’ve lost yet another You Tube track. Bob Dylan’s It’s All Right, Ma this time. In my opinion, it’s probably the best song Dylan ever wrote, and should be free to be heard by anybody who wants to question the system. Nevertheless, it’s been withdrawn by Web Sheriff over a copyright claim.

It’s All Right, Ma must have been recorded at least forty six years ago, so I’m sure Bob Dylan has been more than adequately compensated for his efforts by now. And the version on You Tube was a live recording from a 60s folk concert anyway, so whose pecuniary interests are Web Sheriff protecting exactly? And how much money are Web Sheriff making in this service to the global community?

Web Sheriff are described as ‘the world’s foremost internet policing organisation.’ Fuck the internet police! And I make no apology for my language this time. Maybe we should add another tag line to their credentials:

‘Ensuring that we continue to live in a rich man’s world.’

2 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

Oh you've found my favorite Dylan song!

JJ said...

Tambourine Man is my favourite, but this runs a close second and is his best, I think.