Saturday 30 April 2011

Magic Bluebells.

Now, here’s an interesting thing.

My favourite wild flower is the bluebell, and I was pleased to find that there were a couple of plants growing in my garden when I moved here. The same ones have flowered every year for the past five years. My neighbour Fred, however, had several on his side of the path that separates the two properties.

You might remember that Fred died in February, and here’s the odd bit. All the bluebells on his side of the path have disappeared. There isn’t a single one this year. But several new ones have sprung up on my side. I’m seriously wondering whether the fey have been busy moving the bulbs. Or did the bluebells make the move themselves?

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I love bluebells. When i was a little kid i pretended that faeries lived under them and under mushrooms, because that is what my mamaw always told me when we saw them. I do think they favor them.

JJ said...

I think my fondness for bluebells comes from some childhood resonance, too. I have a vague memory of all us primary school kids being taken out to visit a local bluebell wood. I remember being fascinated by the colours, the shapes and the dappled sunlight. I don't recall the teachers mentioning fairies, though. Pity your mother wasn't there. She sounds OK.

andrea kiss said...

There is a park here called Winged Deer Park and its a wooded area full of bluebells. Very beautiful, with dappled sunlight, too.

My Mamaw was my mother's mother. I think its mostly a southern term for grandmother. She's the one who had all the good ghost stories... i used to tell her that i thought it was she who was haunted, and not her houses.

JJ said...

I see, like Kaetlyn calls her paternal grandfather Papa.

I never really knew any of my grandparents. I might have taken more interest if I'd had one like your Mamaw. I think we would have had a lot to talk about.