Wednesday 6 May 2015

Two Days to Go.

With the General Election looming, thank God for the internet I say. There was a time when you had to follow the whole thing on the TV, having your senses constantly irritated by tedious speculation from the pundits and that particular brand of mindless drivel for which politicians are justifiably famous. Now you can leave a website open in a tab and flick back every so often to see the latest score.

*  *  *

I’m more nervous about this election than any previous one. If Cameron and his band of arrogant public schoolboys get back into power, it’s reasonable to expect that British society will continue to be run for and on behalf of the more wealthy echelons, that the gap between rich and poor will continue to grow, that we will get ever nearer creating true ghettos, that welfare dependency will become more entrenched, and that there might well be serious social unrest before their term is over.

Fingers crossed. My vote will be worthless, of course, since I live in a certified true blue area and my social conscience would never allow me to vote Tory. They’re just an updated version of Norman thugs. I expect I’ll still vote anyway, though, if only because I like the smell of English village halls.

*  *  *

I wonder how many people have worked out that in a first-past-the-post system, it’s theoretically possible for one party to get the majority of the popular vote and yet have no MPs in parliament. That’s a fact, demonstrable by very simple figures. Is that democracy?

No comments: