Friday 29 May 2015

Another Loner Problem.

I saw three of my favourite ladies in Ashbourne on Wednesday. Two of them said ‘hello’ and walked on. The third just walked on.

It never happens to me, you know. I never get stopped in the street with a ‘Hello. Nice to see you. How are you? Are you still living with that woman… erm… what was her name?’ Only dogs do that, and the occasional horse.

It’s probably due to the Dr Pincus look I’ve cultivated down the years. (See the film Ghost Town.) And it’s probably why I get so excited when I see one of those little red boxes over the bell in YouTube:

2

Two? Wow! Something to read…

And a little aside that isn’t entirely unrelated:

I was watching an episode of Vera tonight (it’s a detective drama set in Northumberland where I used to live.) The murderer is explaining to D.I. Vera why he killed the guy. He assumed his wife was having an affair, and part of the reason for his assumption was:

‘She was contacting him with a pay-as-you-go mobile. Well, nobody has one of those unless they’re up to something.’

I’ve had a pay-as-you-go mobile for thirteen years. It’s because I don’t like the things, and I only make about four calls a year on it. Neither do I encourage others to contact me that way. The effort society makes to force you down their prescribed little paths…

2 comments:

Madeline said...

I have the opposite problem; I feel like I'm always running into people I know and don't particularly feel like talking to, not because I don't like them, but because it feels like an infringement on my valuable self time. Maybe I should be more grateful.

FYI, I have a new "blog" (really more like a collection of random things I like): http://madelinebourque.tumblr.com. It's mostly pictures now but I may add some text in the future.

JJ said...

If I'm to be honest, I'm the grateful one. I must spend at least 90% of my time alone, and I still dislike having my valuable self time being infringed, unless it's by somebody very special.

Will gladly take a look at the Tumblr.