Wednesday 20 May 2015

Three on the Stronger Sex.

Mel was telling me this evening that she went to a concert given by her friend’s lesbian choir.

‘How were the bass-baritones?’ I asked.

‘A bit wimpy. But nearly all the women in the audience had long hair.’

Which of us was more guilty of stereotyping, do you think?

*  *  *

And now for something completely different. I came across a comment on YouTube by a young woman whose profile pic indicated that she was a bit of a looker. It was followed by a great number of replies from men all over the world offering chat up lines which ranged from the naïve to the lewd, but all frothing at the mouth and falling over backwards. I left a comment of my own which said something to that effect, since I find it perfectly normal that men should be wowed by a pretty face but I wish they wouldn’t be so damn obvious about it (not to mention verging on the illiterate.)

The woman – Sara, from somewhere in the Deep South – replied almost immediately. She got it; she agreed with me (I even got an lol) and a conversation-by-YouTube-comment ensued. As a result, I didn’t get to bed until 4 o’clock, and I even managed to slip in a mildly lascivious comment of my own. It said ‘Pity I don’t like gritz…’ See? Subtle.

*  *  *

And then there was the case of the mysterious headline I saw in last week’s local paper, which said there is ‘a growing problem with middle class women drinkers.’ There’s definitely a joke in there somewhere. There is, but I’ll be damned if I can find it. It’s been driving me crazy all week.

No comments: