Friday 8 May 2015

A Tiny Break in the Gloom.

I just got a right ticking off from a French woman on YouTube. It seems she didn't get my sense of humour at all. 'You don't like me??? You don't like my post???' (In French.) Actually, my comment was a compliment thinly disguised as a gentle insult and couched in ironic terms. That's normal in Britain, but it seems it doesn't translate well out there in the rest of the world. I suppose I should be more careful. Yes, indeed. I should.

But I did say YouTube was fun, didn't I? And it did provide a small modicum of relief from the unwelcome news about the election. Exit polls suggest that Cameron will still be Prime Minister tomorrow morning. That will depress me to hell and back. (And maybe not even back.)

2 comments:

Erik Bartlam said...

That's a fairly normal thing in The South (U.S.), especially among intimates...family and friends, etc. It doesn't always translate well.
My in-laws are from up north...and we've had our moments of tedious explanations after comments that were, to me, obviously benign or even complementary.

JJ said...

In the UK it's particularly strong in the Liverpool area. I was brought up about 50 miles from there.