Saturday 16 May 2015

The Word Blindness Conundrum.

All my adult life I’ve found it routinely difficult to recall certain words, most commonly hypocrite, articulate and clematis. This was becoming such an irritation that I eventually worked out a way of getting over the problem: think of an image that would offer a similar word that I could recall, and that would lead me to the word I wanted.

For hypocrite (or hypocritical) I chose doctors. They are associated with the Hippocratic Oath, which gives me the clue phonetically. For articulate I chose lorries, which are mostly articulated. For clematis I think of Clementine Churchill, wife of Sir Winston. 

The odd thing is that I have no trouble remembering which trigger image to envisage, and I have no trouble remembering Hippocratic, articulated and Clementine. So why do I have such difficulty recalling the original words? Are there any psychologists in the audience?

No comments: