Monday 6 September 2010

What's in a Word?

I’ve been trying to put some of my latest ‘phase’ into words, but I’ve decided it’s pointless. My experiences are only relevant to my journey, and that’s true of all of us. It’s why I now have even less time for preachers than I did before. And I greatly dislike the fact that I am sometimes given to preaching myself.

Besides, some experiences can only be experienced. How do you describe the colour red to someone who’s been blind from birth? That’s just a simple example. When it comes to the perception of life, and the even greater notion of existence, it gets more complicated. Language, even when used lyrically, is still fundamentally a tool of logic. And if there’s one thing I’ve learned in my life, it is that logic has its limitations.

The blog seems to be on hold at the moment. That’s because I’m not sure what I think is and isn’t worth saying. I don’t seem to have completely lost my sense of silliness, though, so maybe I’ll pick it up from there eventually. I’m more convinced than ever that life is just a game, and that I’m perfectly at liberty to play whichever bits I want to play and avoid the ones I don’t. The important thing is to be aware of the game.

Thank you for checking back.

5 comments:

Zoe said...

Have you been reading Infinite and Finite games?

Carmen said...

Not sure how this is relevant exactly, but my mind says: 'Colour cannot stand alone; it cannot dispense with boundaries of some kind...a never ending extent of red can only be seen in the mind when the word red is heard, the colour is evoked without definite boundaries.' Wassily Kandinsky.

JJ said...

True enough, but it only holds as long as red is understood as an external reality. Where it gets confusing is when you start to question the existence of external reality

lucy said...

Jeff, I don't how this thought came up, but I think you should write a memoir. Your life sounds so interesting and I think reading it would be just really damn intriguing. I don't know. Food for thought! :)

JJ said...

Tried once, Lu. Got to 12,000 words and decided it was terminally boring. So I let somebody else read it. She agreed. Besides, as I said, my experiences are only relevant to my road. Why should they be of interest to anybody else?

But many thanks for the thought. And many thanks for popping onto my blog just as I was going to bed. I love it when that happens.