Saturday 18 September 2010

Hello World.

Can I allow myself to trust that my world will be different today? Yesterday was tough. Imagine you’re in a pit with a raging fire close by. It isn’t threatening your life, but it is hot enough to be painful. You find a rope and begin the arduous climb towards cooler realms, but then you discover that somebody has smeared grease on it, just when you thought you were getting out. This has happened before, and you’d forgotten that ropes always have grease smeared on them somewhere. So you fall off and find yourself burning in the pit again. You think ‘Oh, no, not again! What the hell...’ The pit is an interesting place but the interest comes at a price, a price you thought you wouldn’t have to pay any more.

There are certain things I dislike about being me. A propensity towards unchecked candour is one of them. I think it might be better if I weren’t so inclined to wear my heart on my blogging sleeve. Can’t imagine what it’s doing for my reputation, although that in itself is of little import. If that’s the way you’re made, that’s the way you’re made. And it doesn’t seem to matter how far you go down the temporal road of life. Even though you become, at least in some subtle way, a different person with each passing moment, some things just won’t go away. I suppose that’s how it’s meant to be. Life should allow only so much comfort, since comfort breeds only apathy.

I don’t know whether there will be any more posts today. I have to go out for several hours at a most inconvenient time. I have been summoned! Well, it would be more accurate to say that my presence has been requested. Mustn’t be melodramatic, must we? And then I’ve got correspondence to catch up on. Lots of it.

And tomorrow will be another new day.

2 comments:

KMcCafferty said...

Be who you are and nevermind what others might or might not make of it. As Kafka said, "Don’t bend; don’t water it down; don’t try to make it logical; don’t edit your own soul according to the fashion."

JJ said...

That's the advice I've been giving to others for years, McC. Taking one's own advice requires more effort.