Thursday 23 September 2010

Love Hurts?

I used to think that there were three states of engagement in that area of relationships we might generally refer to as ‘romantic.’ There was infatuation, being in love, and loving. After many years of personal experience and observation of others, I’ve reassessed that view. I no longer see any meaningful distinction between being infatuated with somebody and being ‘in love’ with them. So now I believe there are only two fundamental states: infatuation and love. And I don’t believe the two are even distantly related.

Infatuation is intense, and combines the sweet and the sour in varying proportion. It allows, and even encourages, such attributes as possessiveness and the need to control. They, in their turn, produce corollaries. Suspicion, for example, is the natural child of the union between possessiveness and control mania. It isn’t always that way, of course; it depends on the nature of those who are infatuated. But infatuation holds within itself the prospect of madness, and that madness can range from the sublime to the hideously destructive. Infatuation can, and often does, hurt.

Love is very different. It is essentially gentle, selfless, undemanding and unconditional. It isn’t as intense as infatuation, but it is very much deeper. It, too, holds within itself the prospect of madness, but it can only be a sublime madness. Sounds wonderful, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, there’s a complication.

The phrase ‘love hurts’ has entered the language as an accepted truism. But how can that be, since love in its purest form is selfless, undemanding and unconditional? What is there to hurt? Ego, that’s what. We should all realise, I think, that ego is the source of all human frailty. It’s our biggest weakness. It doesn’t disallow the capacity to love, but it certainly gets in the way. Let me give you an example.

John and Jane were partners. John didn’t know he loved Jane; he only knew that they were romantically involved. He’d never given much thought to what love really is. Until the day when Jane told him she’d had a physical relationship with another man. John was high on ego, and he was an intensely jealous person. Jealousy is, after all, the natural product of mixing ego with insecurity. The revelation sent John over the edge, and for about half an hour he was consumed with what can only be described as a form of insanity. An overpowering physical weakness came over him while his mind entered hideous and incomprehensible realms, the like of which he’d never known. His physical strength returned and he beat the crap out of the walls, the door and the furniture. And yet it never entered his head to attack Jane.

When it was all over, calmness returned and brought with it the light of understanding. He realised that if he had been merely infatuated with Jane, he would simply have kicked her out of his life. But he couldn’t do that; he didn't want to do that. He knew then that he loved her, and no amount of betrayal on her part or madness on his would change the fact. Ironically, it made the pain worse for a while because it meant he had no option but to live with it, but the big revelation was this. He understood that it wasn’t love that was causing him such anguish, but his ego.

This is a true story. I know John very well.

And so I offer the thought that love can’t hurt, but it can easily lead us into hurting ourselves if we’re that way inclined.

And I would also offer a word to young people. When somebody says ‘I’m in love with you,’ it isn't a bad idea to remain circumspect until you’re sure you know what they mean by it. They probably don’t know themselves, but it’s likely to be just infatuation. The term ‘in love’ is just a contrivance to give the more appropriate term added gravitas.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Infatuation is an excellent pretender to the throne. Have you loved?

Anonymous said...

And if love insists on being elusive, will infatuation suffice? Is it by definition antithetical to the longevity of the relationship?

lucy said...

So how do you know whether it's love or infatuation that someone feels?

JJ said...

Dominique: My score on major infatuations:love probably stands at about 10:1. I don't see how infatuation can be all that long lived. Seems to me it's always likely to be destroyed either by a descent into apathy or an eventual intolerance with frustration, depending on whether it's requited or not.

Lu: Big question, and probably unanswerable in general terms. I suppose the starting point is to judge how content a person is with who you are, faults and all. And if it's love, the person will give of themselves unconditionally. If it's infatuation, they will give to encourage response. But that's only scratching the surface of a complex subject, and every situation would have to be judged individually.

Anthropomorphica said...

I agree, I think love is rarely experienced with ego blocking the way. Especially as adults we're so guarded with each other, much easier to experience a sense selflessness with a child or animal, than in a romantic relationship.

Maria Sondule said...

Beautiful post.
Thank you for your advice. When someone says "I love you" to me, I automatically tell myself that they don't mean it, so that I'm not dissappointed and so I don't lose my head. I'll be in love later. For now, I'll just pretend.

JJ said...

Interesting Mel, because I once said that the only 'proper' loving relationships I'd ever had were with my daughter when she was a child, and my collie dog. No judgments, no ego. It's changed since then. I've added another dog and - believe this - an adult woman. We're best friends now.

JJ said...

You're at the start of it all, aren't you Maria? I could almost envy you. Women like you drive men like me mad, which is no more than we deserve. You have the upper hand! Of course, if you wanted an alternative, you could always choose to fall for it all and accept the consequent roller coaster ride. The lows can be pretty bad, though. How tough are you?

Somebody from Argentina has been visiting both my blogs, by the way. Nothing to do with you I suppose?