Wednesday 15 September 2010

Becoming an Ism.

A number of celebrities, including Terry Pratchett, Philip Pullman and Stephen Fry, have written an open letter opposing the Pope’s visit to Britain. What they object to is the Catholic position on birth control, gay rights and abortion. They’re entitled to their view, of course. What I find disquieting is that they want him banned. Banned? That’s just a form of censorship.

There was a time when liberalism was a generic term for an overall position. It was radical, and one of the things it generally objected to was censorship. It believed in freedom of thought and expression. But then it grew into the Great Liberal Alter Establishment. It became the ism for people lacking the capacity for free thought to follow. The point about free thinkers is that they don’t generally follow anything.

Liberalism has become a club every bit as entrenched in its shibboleths as conservatism, and its spokespersons and leaders exhibit the same pomposity. Any expression of disagreement with one of its hallowed beliefs is howled down with the same hysteria as was once exhibited by the conservatives who objected to the banning of slavery. I’ve had personal experience of being called a right wing bigot for disagreeing with just one shibboleth. It would be difficult to be any less right wing than me, but the followers don’t seem to understand that. But of course, they wouldn’t. Followers are, by their nature, programmed to follow, not think. You can justify your view with as much rational argument as you like, but it falls on deaf ears. There is more than a whiff of totalitarianism about the Great Liberal Alter Establishment, and I want nothing to do with it.

Make no mistake; I’m not a Catholic. I have no time for Catholicism and its sordid history, and neither the Bible nor the Pope mean anything to me. But when I see the likes of Stephen Fry and his cronies setting themselves up as the arbiters of right thought, I know I’m on my own. I intend to stay that way.

6 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

Terry Pratchett? From his books he doesn't seem to be so extreme...
I think it's stupid to want to ban the pope. Not stupid to disagree with him, but how can you ban the Pope? For christ's sake...

JJ said...

Interestingly, the same fundamental arguments are used to object to the Pope as were used to get a Rastafari reggae group banned from Britain a few years ago. It was the same gang that managed that one.

Interesting use of upper and lower case.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more here.

JJ said...

It's nice to have somebody agree with me, Della. Thank you.

Carmen said...

'The point about free thinkers is that they don’t generally follow anything.'

EXACTLY. people just dont get it.

JJ said...

I knew you would!