Friday 10 September 2010

Kids Today!

Excerpt from a teenager’s blog (don’t sue me for breach of copyright, Lauren)

‘I mean everyone I turn to is all "STUDY..STUDY..STUDY..or you'll be a fail in life".’

Dame Edna’s mother sent him off
To town, to buy a shirt.
But when he brought it home she said
‘My God, you’ve bought a skirt!
You really are a funny boy
I don’t know what I’ve reared.
You’ll never be successful, lad,
You’re really much too weird.’

The more I see of young people, the more I think they’re some way ahead of where my generation was at the same age. Grown ups, however, seem to have gone backwards, or at least into a state of such narrow perception as to amount to the same thing.

I’m wondering whether it’s time to let the kids take over.

5 comments:

lucy said...

Nah, we shouldn't take over. We make mistakes, and we're still learning from them. I mean, imagine letting us- hormonally-charged and all- take over. What policies would we make? Stereotypical 'us' would be making unimportant policies like 'no more school, only partying', and 'all makeup should be free'. lol

Carmen said...

NO. OKAY TEENAGERS SHOULD NOT TAKE OVER THE WORLD. Let's be realistic for a moment, I can honestly say that there are not many teenagers in this world who study a lot. Yes, there are a lot of teenage bloggers who blog about worthwhile things, however, we are completely emotionally unstable, and I doubt most of us can fully comprehend the word responsibility and or patience fully...although I can't say that most adults do anyway. Also, the ratio of blogging, intelligent teenagers to teenage delinquents who just want to swear and get wasted till the cows come home is like, 1:10. No joke.

I rest my case. I think.

JJ said...

Wow! Talk about witness for the prosecution!

This is great. I respect you even more now.

I did have my tongue in cheek, I have to say. But only about taking over. I still believe there is more wisdom in the young now than there was in my day. You lot down in Sydney have been a real revelation, but you're not the only ones.

And I believe you learn more about interpersonal skills - which are very important - at parties than you ever will at school.

pnorthluskin said...

Ah but I have hope for the kids. Read my most recent post and you will see why, my friend!

JJ said...

I have, Paige. I'm still pondering it.