Monday 13 September 2010

Intelligence and Wisdom.

I used to think that wisdom was simply a combination of intelligence and experience. I don’t any more. Now I think that intelligence is simply a function of the brain, whereas wisdom, I believe, resides in a higher part of the consciousness. The age of reason holds that consciousness itself is merely a function of the brain. I’m with Descartes in thinking it unlikely.

I had my IQ tested by MENSA once. I got a high score and they invited me to join. I declined because the revelation plunged me into earnest consideration of just how important intelligence is within the context of existence, and I concluded that it really isn’t so important after all. It certainly doesn’t set you up on any pedestal towering over the common herd. It can be useful in many circumstances, but that’s all. So can the ability to mend cars or make things with wood. And I believe it can be a limiting factor when it comes to the gaining of wisdom. I realise now that I have spent the twenty odd years since doing the MENSA test in an unconscious effort to free myself of that limitation.
 
Scientists rely on intelligence because science in its modern form is all about explaining the nuts and bolts of material reality. Nuts and bolts can be highly complex, and some of them continue to baffle, but they’re still nuts and bolts. Intelligence handles that sort of thing well.
 
Philosophers, on the other hand, apply wisdom in their attempt to explain existence. While scientists try to tell us how the building blocks fit together, philosophers concern themselves with the nature of meaning. Intelligence is of little value in that pursuit because the voyage leads to a continental shelf, and the abyss beyond is no place for building blocks.
 
I’m happy to be still in the process of making the transition because I find the pursuit of meaning far more challenging and much more fun than playing with building blocks. Each to their own.
And I appreciate silliness, mischief, and the beauty of the absurd more these days. That has to be a good thing.
 
And that’s today’s tedious bit of seriousness done with.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alas, you haven't freed yourself of any such limitation, Jeff. And is silliness or mischief irreconcilable with intelligence or wisdom, for that matter?

JJ said...

So I'm failing? Oh, well. As for the question, all I know is that I feel less dull since I started trying to put intelligence in its proper place.

lucy said...

All I can say is, I'm impressed. You got accepted by Mensa! It may seem like nothing to you, but to me, that is just WOW. And you should know me well enough, Jeff, to know that I am very easily impressed- even by the things that are really truly impressive. If that makes any sense...

JJ said...

Er, is there a 'not' missing? I'm not the MENSA type, Lu. I left that part of me behind when I started to learn about life. Too up themselves. (Got that one from Carmen! Great expression. I think I might start saying yay next. Then again...)

There are things about you, oh Lucy lover of light, that impress me more than high-and-dry intelligence.