Wednesday 22 September 2010

Learning Love in the Language of Mothers.

I listened to this today. At one point it sent a shockwave through me, and reminded me of, or perhaps I should say it reinforced, something I have long believed.

Motherhood, when taken to its greatest potential, is probably the most beautiful and meaningful phenomenon in the material universe. It comes closest to my understanding of the sacred.

How many mothers fall short of attaining that potential, and how many children take it for granted? How moving is it that the truest of mothers allows such a failing in her children because motherhood is essentially selfless, and that when the child finally recognises the fault, there is no need to ask her pardon?

6 comments:

Shayna said...

I am extraordinarily touched by your sentiments so eloquently and movingly expressed in this post, Jeff. Thank you for this.

JJ said...

I found the shockwave immensely moving too, Shay. That's why I made the post.

Shayna said...

Beautiful, Jeff. And, beautiful Jeff.

Nuutj said...

Really touching. Reminds me of a Buddhist chant. The love of mother to her child is a simile of universal love. below is s one of my favorite quotes. And I normally pray this.

---------------------------------------------------
Just as with her own life
A mother shields her own, her only child,
So let him have a mind,
Of boundless love for all beings.

JJ said...

Thank you, Mei-shan. I appreciate that you confirm my own thought on the matter - about the metaphor for universal love. Maybe it's why images of the Buddha have started to stir something I haven't known before. This particular child has a long way to go, though. No giving myself up to feed tigers just yet!

lucy said...

Motherhood is beautiful. Not that I know from the giving end, but from the receiving end, it is, really the most sacred thing.