Thursday 16 September 2010

The Story Behind the Stats.

My two stats facilities – Google and Flag Counter – have thrown up a couple of things I find interesting.

The first is that readership seems to have dwindled to a trickle over the past few days. That’s OK; even I’ve started to find myself boring lately.

What’s much more interesting is how some people have found my blog. Google Stats gives information on referring URL’s and referring sites. It tells you how some people have got to your blog through a third party site. Often these are search engines, but not always. Take today for example.

It appears that somebody found one of my stories by searching ‘Malory+Beazley’ at a site called socialmention.com. One of my stories does refer to Sir Thomas Malory, but who the hell would search ‘Malory+Beazley?’

More interesting still is that somebody came to my main blog through a site called Movies-Adult.TK. What?! How does one or more of my blog posts get picked up by a site with a name like that? I thought of opening it to try and find out. But no; you don’t know where sites like that have been, do you. My poor innocent computer might end up with some cyber version of an STD. The mystery can stay a mystery.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Readership has come to a grinding halt for me too, today, I don't know, maybe something interesting is going on somewhere else. The pope's visit, maybe? :) Some of the search terms people use to find my blog are also funny. There are people out there (or one person?) who has a thing for goat's eyes.. or goat eye or goat eyes, etc. and arrive my photograph of a goat on an early post. I've traced this (not very spectacular) photo of mine to a Russian site, where they've given me credit but I have no idea what's said about it. Strange, but fun somehow.

JJ said...

The Pope got into trouble today. Apparently, he used the word 'Nazi' in reference to 'those who would keep God out of society.' The press interpreted this as 'Pope says atheists are like the Nazis.' I wonder whether he was really referring to atheits in general, or whether he was taking a counter-swipe at the Great Liberal Alter Establishment, in which case... The GLAE took great offence, of course. I've always thought that the extent to which people take offence is a measure of emotional insecurity. I apply that to myself when occasion demands. As for the press, 'nuff said.

JJ said...

BTW, I like goats' eyes. I like goats.

Anonymous said...

:))