Monday 27 September 2010

Rakes & Romantics.

It goes without saying that life is rarely painted in black and white, but is a stepless range of grey tones. Certain statements of observation and opinion are, therefore, necessarily of a generalised nature. This is one of them.
I would like to offer a thought to the young women out there.
If a young man is exhibiting unreasonable haste in gaining access to your knickers, there’s a fair chance that he’s either a rake or a Romantic. They’re two very different animals, and a few of those differences might be explained as follows:
The rake will seek access by any means that are legal. The Romantic has to be invited in. It’s an essential part of the game to him.
The rake will care nothing for the number of men who have been there before him, and maybe not even the number who are there simultaneously. The Romantic is much more likely to have strong feelings on the matter, but they probably won’t show until he’s got there himself.
The rake might well leave you high and dry before the night has run its course. The Romantic will take rather longer. He’s climbing a mountain, and the peak is still to be attained.
The rake will probably injure your pride. The Romantic is capable of doing damage at a deeper level. That’s because the rake simply seeks to use your body, whereas the Romantic is on a mission to explore every part of you.
If I think of any more, I’ll let you know. Take it or leave it. It’s your life.

4 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

I'd hit both the romantic and the rake with a baseball bat until they get away from my knickers. What about girls? Are we rakes/romantics or altogether undefinable? (or just crazy?)

JJ said...

Ah, problem...

Both rakes and Romantics are expert in the art of charm. That's how they circumnavigate the baseball bat.

As for the question, girls are certainly capable of being Romantics (upper case 'R' all-important.) But I think that, like it or not, biology does play a certain part in gender definition, and so I think it would be unrealistic to look for a precise female equivalent of the rake. Besides, it's been my experience that women - especially young women - have an emotional makeup that is stronger, more mature, and more secure than men. The rake type is, I think, essentially a product of arrested development.

Anonymous said...

Have you embodied both avatars?

JJ said...

Er, personal question, but as it's you, Dominique...

No. I aspired to be a rake in my younger days, but there were too many impediments - mostly the fact that I wasn't handsome enough, and I was too sensitive to my own feelings and those of others. In short, too soft.