Monday 30 August 2010

Reviewing My Situation.

I’m spending far too much time on the computer these days. I’m becoming a computer couch potato. If I might be excused for playing the same old tune again, I think my time would be better spent sitting in a sleazy bar until five in the morning, drinking myself into a rosy mist and watching the sad detritus of an overheated culture descend into drink-induced delusion. Such occupation would at least have character to commend it.

Unfortunately, we don’t have that kind of sleazy bar in Britain, at least I don’t know of one. We have pubs, nightclubs, café bars and ‘gentlemen’s’ clubs. Some of them are sleazy in their own way, no doubt, but it wouldn’t be the right kind of sleaze. Wrong ambience, if you know what I mean.

I have a kit to build a model Viking longship upstairs. My wife bought it for me back in the day when I was still dutifully tramping the tram lines. It looks awfully complicated. I could try making a model of the Taj Mahal in milk bottle tops, but milk bottles don’t have that kind of top any more. In fact, I’m not altogether certain that we even have milk bottles any more. I could buy a kite, I suppose, but they’re only any good when it’s windy. Besides, it’s the nights that drag a bit, and kites aren’t so good in the dark. Of course, it might help if... but let’s not go down that road.

So, the computer will remain my friend for now. It’s being awfully cranky and slow tonight, but I’m hoping that’s just a passing mood. At the moment it’s playing Bob Dylan’s original recording of Boots of Spanish Leather to me. It’s not so bad.

Neither, for that matter, is my situation, just in case anybody thinks of taking me seriously.

Do I have anything deep and meaningful to say today?

No.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listened to Blood on the Tracks yesterday, what an amazing work. Did you hear the story about a year ago when Dylan took a National Trust tour of the Beatles' homes? No one on the minibus recognized him apparently and the Trust said afterward that he could have had a private tour if he liked. But apparently not. Cute, I think.

JJ said...

Really?! No, I didn't hear that. I wonder how many people were thinking 'I'm sure I know that bloke from somewhere.'

I showed Roger Daltrey to his seat in the theatre once. I said to the others later 'I've just seen a man who looks like Roger Daltrey.' 'It was Roger Daltrey,' said one of them. He's in to watch the show because he recently starred in a film version of the same play.

I suppose we don't expect people like that to turn up standing next to us.

But I take the point about Dylan choosing not to have a private tour.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Roger Daltrey! What year was that? And I SAW Debbie Harry in front of the Chelsea Hotel, Steve Martin at the MoMa and Lenny Kaye, yes, Lenny Kaye of the Patti Smith Group TWICE. Impressive, no? I won't tell you the year either :) The Bob Dylan story is all true, I dug up the BBC article for you. Yes, funny that he wasn't recognized, especially as I can only imagine him sitting there humbly with legs crossed in a cowboy hat.