Monday 23 August 2010

Go Slippers!

I heard that awful phrase again today: ‘A pipe-and-slippers man.’ It refers to someone settling into the mediocrity of middle age.

No. One of my missions in life is to defend slippers. Slippers are comfortable and practical. They don’t label you Mr Boring. I like slippers; I’ve always liked slippers; I’ve been wearing them since I was knee high to a shitzhu; I was wearing slippers when I was a rakish seventeen-year-old going to parties several times a week, wooing the girls, and waking up in some stranger’s loo at 4 am having gone in there three hours earlier drunk as a lord.

Slippers don’t have to be a badge of middle life or old age. It’s all in the mind. I’m wearing slippers at the moment. My mother bought them for me one Christmas nearly twenty years ago. They’re moccasin-style, and have holes in the soles. (Rhyme intended - there’s gravitas in rhymes.) They also suffer from split seams, but they’re still comfortable and practical, and I’ll continue to wear them until they fall apart.

I do admit to being particular about the style. I wouldn’t, for example, wear pink furry ones with Minnie Mouse’s head standing on the toe. But that isn’t the point. The point is: slippers are OK. Get over it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No furry slippers at all? Tres triste!

KMcCafferty said...

I agree. I'm fond of my slippers. Especially since we've a tile floor and in the winter it gets quite cold.

JJ said...

Oh, Lady I, if only I had your knowledge of French. I got the tres. I suppose you go barefoot to show off the bells.

Some of us just know what matters, don't we McC? I have tiled floors, too.

Wendy said...

I wear flannel nightgowns, a velour robe and slippers and if there are those who think it's trashy, middle-aged, well, flip them...I think those who don't wear slippers and judge others are thick-souled, I know bad pun ;) Slipper-wearer's unite! lol...

JJ said...

Wendy! And I had you down as a Liz Taylor type. Must be that Dionysus post (which I haven't commented on because I wasn't sure what to say. Some post, though.)