Monday 16 August 2010

A Matter of Association.

There’s something I don’t quite understand. Why do I never tire of hearing Enya’s Caribbean Blue? Why does it continue to captivate me just very slightly? It’s surprising because:

1) I’m not that keen on Enya. Her song Smaointe is one of my all time favourites, and there are one or two others I find pleasant enough, but apart from that...

2) Caribbean Blue was one of her more popular tracks. Since my taste in music is hardly mainstream, I don’t usually like popular tracks.

3) The lyrics aren’t up to much, and the melody is no more than catchy.

So how come I’ve been listening to it for fifteen years and still like it so much? Could it have something to do with association? I associate it with an exciting time in my life, although it was a period containing as many downs as ups. Maybe it’s all to do with Sheona McCormack. She was a sort of roller coaster ride, with a long climb to a high peak followed by an almost vertical plummet. Maybe that’s it. In the unlikely event that anyone might wonder who Sheona McCormack was, her story can be found here.

No comments: