Monday 16 August 2010

Connected and Separate.

I sat out in my garden until late yesterday evening; first with a beer, then with my dinner, then with a coffee, and finally with just my thoughts. I sat until the hot orange sun was half hidden below the western horizon.
As it sank, I worked out where it would be in relation to places around the globe that have now become important to me. I knew it would be high and hot in America, but still several hours from appearing in Mumbai and Thailand. It occurred to me yet again how the heavenly bodies connect us. I knew that my friends in America might, at that very moment, be looking at the same thing I was. It’s why young lovers, separated by physical distance, make pacts to look at the moon simultaneously.
But it symbolised separateness, too. If I had a lover in Sydney, say, over on the east coast of Australia, we wouldn’t be able to do that. Her night would be my day, and her summer my winter.
And then I retreated back into my own world, which is the only world any of us can have, and washed the dishes.

8 comments:

Mother Moon said...

a simple yet deep complexing day... I love it...

JJ said...

I seem to be having a lot of days like that lately, Mother Moon.

Are you in Oklahoma now? My flag counter suggests as much. Didn't you used to be in California?

pnorthluskin said...

One of my favorite things you have written. Beautiful. Thank you!

JJ said...

Blimey, Paige. That's quite a compliment coming from such an elegant lady of letters. Lady of elegant letters? Mmm...

Anonymous said...

I personally understand that last example you gave, living in Sydney and being in love with someone else on the other side of the world.

I've discovered that geographical distance, while it initially hurts, stops meaning so much after a while. We're all distant from each other; we're all alone.

JJ said...

That's the more rarefied angle, and right in its own way. I've talked about that often with people.

Thank you for providing today's little mystery.

Nuutj said...

These touched my heart, moved me to tears.

In my case, it's painful to think of someone on the other side, exact 12 hours different. Wondering how he is starting new day. Though, I don't dare to talk to him anymore.

JJ said...

So sorry, Mei-shan. I didn't mean to touch any painful personal issues here. I was just musing. Hope you're OK now.