Sunday 1 August 2010

A Question of Personal Freedom.

Think of the archetypal image of the lowland English countryside. Winding lanes, ancient hedgerows with borders of wild flowers, giant ash trees maybe hundreds of years old, copses of oak, beech, lime and chestnut, patchwork fields in which cows and sheep graze contentedly or stands of golden corn wait to be harvested, small villages with gothic churches dating back to mediaeval times and beyond... That’s exactly what it’s like where I live. It’s why I chose to live here, and forego the obvious benefits of a large town or city which has more urbane facilities close at hand. And the greatest benefit of all: peace and quiet.


Not this weekend. This weekend there has been an outdoor rock concert going on about two miles away across the valley. Two miles is nothing to a modern sound system, and so I have been treated to the sound of various sorts of rock and pop music – including that frenetic dance sort – and the sound of the MC’s voice booming out around the landscape. It started on Friday evening, and stopped at 4.30 today. Whether they’ve packed up, or are just having an intermission, I wait to find out.


So the question raises its head: how much personal freedom should I be prepared to consider reasonable? By and large, I’m a big fan of personal freedom; but what if it denies other people theirs? The right of the concert-goers to listen to their choice of music in the open air has merit, but so does my right not to listen to it. To me, the noise is undesirable and polluting my environment. It occurs to me that all forms of that sort of music are available in countless nightclubs every night of the week, so is it reasonable to bring it out to the countryside and force unwilling people to listen to it?


I would be interested to have opinions on this one.

14 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

I remember being in a beautiful and peaceful Indian mountain village. Soaking it all up until rudely interrupted by the booming beat of a rave in the hills. I was horrified so I understand what you're saying!
I think acoustic concerts, classical so on should be saved for countryside venues.

JJ said...

You've been to India? And Japan? I'd love to know more (damn, just used that word.)

At least what we had this weekend wasn't a rave. They did shut down overnight. Small blessings, I suppose.

Nuutj said...

I would share this on my Google reader stream. I want people's attention on this issue. Here in Thailand, there were concerts held near a national park. I really pity for the animals living there.

JJ said...

Hello Mei-shan. I suppose it was for the tourists' benefit?

Mother Moon said...

um... as a festival goer myself you have made me look at things from a different perspective.

Although I truly love the openess of an outdoor music festival I can understand how there would be those who would not.

There is one in particular that I frequent in Tennessee on an Yearly basis (Bonnaroo) and I always wondered how the locals felt about the multitude of people descending on their town each year. Although there are ample attempts to keep the whole affair as green and clean as possible there is so much abuse to the area from those who just do not care.

I will have to ponder on this one for a while. You have me thinking... and its only 8 am in the morning.

JJ said...

The biggest and most famous in Britain takes place annually at Glastonbury, in Somerset. Somerset is a quiet, rural county, and I often wondered how the locals feel about being invaded for three days by amplified and electronic music, as well as the persistent thump of rock drums and heavy base lines.

As far as I know there have been very few complaints about it, and I suspect the reason is the fact that it’s well established. The locals know that for one weekend every year, the Glastonbury Festival becomes a fact of life. They know it’s coming and they know that’s all there’s going to be. I should think a lot of locals make quite a lot of money out of it, and I believe the organisers are very diligent in leaving the site in a pristine condition. So I suppose they’re prepared to simply switch their mentality for the duration of the event.

It’s different when a three day rock concert lands on you out of the blue. You didn’t know it was coming, you don’t know anything about the organisers, you don’t know whether the same thing is going to happen next weekend, and so on.

Having said all which, I still think that heavily amplified and electronic music is unsuited to the gentler, more natural energies of the countryside. It belongs in the manufactured environment of the city, in my opinion.

Thanks for yout thoughtful comment.

Nuutj said...

Those concerts were randomly, and simply held for business.

It's cynical that the concerts were promoted as to be 'for life' and 'to raise awareness in preserve nature'. And people seemed to believe that they got close to the nature.

I enjoy outdoor concert but it must be held in Bangkok or other crowded tourist downtowns.

Anthropomorphica said...

I agree with your comment on amplified and electronic music. I think when you aim to connect with nature, there's nothing more alien to hear!
Ah the travels, well I spent a total of 9 years in Japan working and had to travel in the holidays to preserve my sanity ;)

JJ said...

Really, Mel? Your eyes don't look old enough. Don't know about the rest of you, of course.

Oh no, I think I just invited another visit from the dreaded Mathilda. Damn!

Thanks, Mel (grovel.)

Anthropomorphica said...

You grovel boy!! I also have Abigale and her beak!!
Young eyes? There's a lot to be said for immaturity, I think it's highly underrated ;)

Anthropomorphica said...

By the way, are you missing Shayna? I am.

JJ said...

Gosh, Mel, you sound just like my English teacher from school - the greatly feared Miss Aiken, 4'11 of unstable TNT!

I've added a note to your post on Forward Moving.

Anthropomorphica said...

Must be something about us shorties ;) Just added some more grafitti to yours on Shayna's blog :) Lets get her!

JJ said...

Then what? You know she's a matriarch in the Mafia?