Friday 27 August 2010

Living in a Construct.

Funny old day, today. No e-mails, no blog comments, no snail mail, no phone calls. I feel invisible. I wonder whether it’s right, as some people say, that each of our worlds is merely a construct of our will, and that nothing material exists outside our own perception. The problem with that view is that it goes into a level of philosophical and spiritual reasoning that I can’t access yet. But maybe it is right, and maybe all the people who are important to me don’t actually exist. Maybe I made them all up. Or maybe they’re just not talking to me today. Interesting, though.

And those words – funny old day today – remind me of one of my all-time favourite sitcoms, and my all-time favourite line from it:

Granville: Oh, come on. Somebody must have loved me mother.

Arkwright: Oh, they did. Plenty of people round ’ere loved yer mother dearly. And some of them quite cheaply.

6 comments:

Jfromtheblock said...

feeling a little lonely there Jeff? I hate those days.

lucy said...

I'm sorry, Jeff! I've been so busy I haven't had the time to comment! I hope you're alright and not feeling so 'invisible' anymore. Everyone has those days. I hate them.

JJ said...

Don't be concerned, ladies. Just one of those days. It's a bit like being a mariner on a sailing ship. You're half way across the ocean and then the wind stops blowing. Bugger!

But, thank you - from deep inside somewhere.

KMcCafferty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KMcCafferty said...

If that's true, then apparently I've made you up, and made you up to say that you've made all the people around you up, perhaps in an attempt for my will to convince me that all the life and material around me really is real and not something that it made up itself, Better yet, maybe I'm something that your will made up and I'm just arguing that because I'm supposed to convince you that everything is real and this could go on and on and on now.

It's been a long night.

I like to hope that I'm real and that you are too because it all is a bit dizzying haha

JJ said...

Well done, McC. I know, that's why I said I'm unable to access that level yet. But I gather there are plenty of wise people in eastern traditions who believe it to be true, and they must have some reason for so believing. Must find one and put the question. Or maybe not. I've thought long and hard about the question 'What is reality,' and once you get beyond the obvious, it becomes rather more than merely tricky. Even 'I think, therefore I am' raises its own questions. The reality of lunch beckons. Blissful simplicity!