Friday 6 August 2010

Programming for the Poor in Mind.

My Hotmail home page is running an ad for the ‘Blackberry Pearl 3G’ phone. It gives dimensions: 50mm x 103mm. Impressive.


‘Small enough to fit in any pocket,’ it says.


‘At a price to suit any pocket,’ it continues.


£25 a month on a 24 month contract. Do me a favour! It doesn’t suit my pocket.


But you can get it in purple! Oh, right. That makes all the difference. Better get one then, eh? That’s tomorrow’s first job sorted.


Is anybody taken in by this sort of thing?

4 comments:

lucy said...

Ha ha. That's so true.

"Fits any pocket"- okay, fine, I'll give you that. But "at a PRICE suiting to ANY pocket?" PFFT. Yeah right.

I don't think anyone really buys those ads except a) rich kids and/or b) gullible people

JJ said...

I took a junk call once from a man promising to 'change my life.' Interesting, so I listened. He said he was going to send me the latest mobile phone and a contract for £17.99 a month. How kind of him. I expressed my appreciation. Then I pointed out that my existing phone is eight years old and works. It does calls and texts. I put £5 worth of air time on it about every three months, that's how little I use it. It was about ten minutes before he finally gave up. I wonder if he was on commission.

KMcCafferty said...

One of my cousins just got one of those fancy Droid phones (not sure if you have those on your side of the pond, but they're the latest 'must have' here).
A whopping $600 (it would have been $100 if he'd have waited for a phone upgrade deal.)

Low and behold, two weeks after having it he jumped into a pool with it in his pocket. His dad bought it for him. Now he's asking his dad to buy him another.

$600 for a phone? It's just a bit over the top (and by a bit, I mean a lot)

JJ said...

Droids, eh? I assume they fly and fight aliens. Wouldn't know, McC. Don't keep up with the latest technology and I've never been a 'must have' type. My dad wouldn't even pay for me to go on the schoool trip to Paris with the rest of the class.