Monday 2 August 2010

Babies with Attitude.

I have several fledgling robins visiting my bird table. For those who don’t know, baby robins don’t have the bright red breasts so beloved of the Christmas card publishers. They have buff coloured breasts with dark speckles. They’re very cute. They’re also a little smaller than the full-grown adults, but they have the same attitude.


It’s good to watch them competing - facing up to the adult sparrows and finches with that ‘don’t mess with me, I’m a robin don’t you know’ demeanour.


One lady sparrow was less than impressed today. She chased one of the juvenile robins into a nearby shrub, before coming back to feed. I fancied I heard her utter


‘Upstart!’


Birds! Great little creatures.

3 comments:

Mother Moon said...

we are currently dealing with Kites... beautiful birds but if they have any young youngs near you watch out... they like to dive and actually at times strike one.

Nuutj said...

Always enjoy your posts about nature aound your place.

JJ said...

MM: We have a similar thing with Arctic Terns - which are a lot smaller than kites, but they can still inflict a wound.

Mei-shan: Thank you. The local wildlife has become my 'family' these days.