Tuesday 24 August 2010

Flight of Fancy or a Former Life.

I sometimes get hints of alternate existences trying to impress their half-remembered sensations into this one. I can only assume it’s where the following sprang from.

Or it could mean that I have an overactive imagination, or the mind of an incorrigible romantic, or that I’m a bit off my head, or any combination thereof. The only thing it demonstrates for certain is that I’m no poet.

But I decided I liked it anyway, so I’m posting it.

Lovely girl of old Cathay,
Would you come and spend a day
Teaching me of sweet seduction
In the oriental way.

Would you take me to the mountain top,
Or down to fishers’ shore,
Where the bamboo leaves wave witting,
Keeping secret evermore.

Lovely lady of Cathay,
Would you take me ’cross the bay,
Where your spirit still sits patient
Back in fabled Mandalay.

I’ve developed a real obsession with Mandalay lately. It keeps jumping into my head at every turn. I don’t even know where it is. Strange as it might seem, I don’t want to know.

No comments: