Monday 4 July 2011

Not Minding Our Own Business.

An opinion poll was recently conducted among English voters asking whether they thought Scotland should be allowed to be independent of the UK. 48% of them said it shouldn't.

As an Englishman, I find this quite remarkable. If the Scottish people want independence, then independence they must have. Denying them that right is nothing less than imperialism, and I am little short of appalled that nearly half the population of England still thinks they have the right to hold any other view.

I should imagine, however, that the Scottish National Party will be mightily pleased. If there’s one thing guaranteed to polarise Scottish opinion in favour of independence, it must be the English trying to tell them it isn’t allowed.

3 comments:

Maria Sondule said...

48 one way does mean 52 in the other direction.
It's like that here with gay marriage. We'll get there.

Maria Sondule said...

Might I also add that I wouldn't trust statistics? After learning about them it's obvious they're more sneaky than criminal defense attorneys.

JJ said...

You're not counting the 'Don't Knows.'

Public opinion polls are good, I think, as long as they're conducted and interpreted properly. These days so few of them are, and those that aren't can be easily manipulated. Must admit, I don't know who conducted this one or how it was done.