Sunday 31 July 2011

The Walk.

So, how did the walk go? It was warm, much warmer than yesterday even though the Yahoo weather forecast said it would be cooler.

I had three stubby beer bottles that needed to go to the recycle bins so I thought I’d take them and walk round that way. Since there were only three, I didn’t bother to put them in a bag, and I found that if I held one at just the right angle it caught the wind and went woooooo all the way down the lane. Back to the old small-things-please-small-minds phenomenon. Some disappointment accrued, however, from the fact that all three bottles produced the same note, so I was unable to manage even a little dissonance, let alone harmony.

Sarah’s horse scowled at me again. It’s been doing that a lot lately.

When I reached the end of Mill Lane, I was struck by how noisy it was. There was a whole tribe of sparrows cheeping away like crazy in the hedgerows, and the cows in the farm buildings on the other side of the lane were bellowing for some reason. Then there was the very loud hum of the milking equipment. How noisy the countryside can be sometimes.

When I arrived at the entrance to the church drive, I thought I’d check out the state of the downpipes (see recent post.) The purloined lead ones have been replaced with grey plastic modern ones, but no CCTV cameras yet. So then I paid a visit to the grave of the enigmatic Isabella – remember her? A thought struck me: if I’m right in my belief regarding reincarnation, it’s likely that there are places in the world where the remains of my previous bodies are still lying. How fascinating it would be to go and find them.

I turned into Church Lane to make my way back and saw a domestic cat apparently stalking some small creature on the verge outside my landlord’s mansion gates. It scuttled away at my approach, and I felt pleased that a mouse or vole had been spared a nasty ordeal as a result of my presence. After all, I’m sure the landlord’s cat didn’t need it for dinner. But then it struck me that said feline probably went hunting elsewhere and found another innocent rodent to mangle, one that wouldn’t have got the treatment if I hadn’t been there. You can’t win, can you?

So that’s the total of today’s little adventures, bar one. There was one other encounter, and it led to a train of thought that could have comprised easily the biggest part of this post. Unfortunately, it’s all bound up with the nature of the horrors that have been troubling me so badly lately, and they haven’t altogether gone yet. So that one will have to wait for another day.

6 comments:

Della said...

It sounded like an interesting, pleasant walk until you mentioned horrors. If it's just for a cliffhanger effect, we'll be checking back tomorrow of course. Do hope you're well.

JJ said...

Hi Della. The post was just an idle muse to pass some time. As for the horrors, no cliffhanger intended. There's something I badly want to say, but it would only open my own can of worms again so it's going to have to wait. Oddly, though, my thoughts turned in your direction. I imagined you might be the one person to agree with me. We'll see - one day.

Della said...

Even more cryptic now Jeff but yes, let's see. I am a complainer, if that's what you mean about the one who would agree :) And like you, I'm apt to go off the rails. I envy people like the artist Shayna who seems to be above worldly issues and finds enchantment in every odd corner – I only have moments like that, not days.

JJ said...

It wsn't complaining or going off the rails I had in mind, Della, but your mature understanding of human nature and your capacity for balanced judgement. This is a really complex issue, and very much my Achilles Heel - big time! I'll probably make the post when the neurosis has calmed down (if neurosis it be.)

Shayna is a pretty remarkable lady, isn't she?

Della said...

Yes she is and thank you for the kind words. Have you changed your typeface on the banner as well as the picture? Are those houseboats? Lovely.

JJ said...

I had to play around with both the typeface and the size, Della, to make the title fit well with the picture. Blogger isn't exactly a sharp design tool!

Houseboats/canal boats, yes. Mostly they're used for recreation - it's a popular form of holiday. Some people do live in them, though.