Friday 22 July 2011

Seeking Truth.

I read a small news report today that told of a churchman in Wales who has publicly burnt some pages from the Bible, and torn others out to make an artwork for an exhibition. He says they demonstrate a ‘cruel and vile’ God.

I realise I don’t have the full story, but it brings me back to what I’ve been saying for years: that I wouldn’t give the God of the Old Testament space in my trash can. And what I’ve never understood is this. If the Gospels are to be believed, Jesus explicitly preached against the edicts of Jehovah. So what the hell is the Old Testament doing in the Christian Bible?

I’ve read that the decision to include it was just another victory of politics over truth, but I don’t know enough about the history of the Church to argue the point. All I know is that the only religious figure I find myself able to revere is the Buddha. Which doesn’t make me a Buddhist, you understand, merely a truth seeker.

No comments: