Friday 29 July 2011

Being Lead Astray.

I decided to pay a visit to the local mediaeval church when I took a walk this evening. The approach to the churchyard is a gravelled drive leading off the main road, and as I rounded the corner I saw a line of new, expensive motor cars and a group of people standing by the churchyard gates. They eyed me with interest as I approached.

‘Is this a deputation,’ I asked, refusing to be cowed by the recently disgorged occupants of new, expensive motor cars.

‘Somebody’s stolen the lead downpipes,’ said the tallest of the deputation, pointing out the stains on the ancient stonework where lead downpipes should be hiding them.

It seems that lead thieves had been at work, and the ‘deputation’ consisted of the church committee plus the verger, all come to lock the churchyard gates so as to deny the miscreants further pickings. Why it needed eight people to lock the gates was beyond me; and what good they thought it would do, since the gates are only about four feet tall, lent a further air of query.

‘You’ll be installing CCTV cameras next,’ I offered.

‘Funny you should say that,’ said the tallest of the deputation, at which point a shorter member of the august body produced a catalogue of CCTV equipment.

What is the world coming to? And have you ever noticed that members of church committees always seem to drive new, expensive motor cars?

5 comments:

Nuutj said...

Some committees of temples here cause the same problems. My sis-in-law worked as committees members of a temple too. They realized how others corrupted donation money, so they quited.

It's very disgusting.

Della said...

Hi Jeff,
I was going to pick on your spelling of led (lead) but then realized it was a pun. What an awful thing to do to a mediaeval church (CCTV). Just back to the blogging thing, so am a little awkward this morning :) Hope you are well.

Zz... said...

was that a SPELLING error I detected?!!!

Zz... said...

okay DELLA answered it...I was too tired to read the post...cool, you still meet my standards, LOL!

JJ said...

I don't think this is so much a case of corruption, Mei-shan, just an overreaction it seems to me. And the 'new, expensive motor cars' is all about the Church being very much bound up with the Establishment, especially in a traditional rural area like this.

You've no idea how long it took me to get that title, Della. There are actually TWO strands to the pun! Neat, eh?

ZZ, dear, how you do brighten my day!