Tuesday 19 July 2011

Avalon Rises Again.

I started to watch the first of a new series of ‘Coast’ tonight. It used to be a favourite programme of mine, but not any more it seems. I turned it off after about ten minutes. I’m becoming ever more intolerant of chirpy TV presenters, and even more intolerant of the constant pushing of those chirpy, trivial and trashy preoccupations sadly (to me) endemic in modern western culture. Saunas indeed!

I longed to take the arm of some rare and special person, grab a couple of stray dogs in need of love and care, find the way to Avalon, and bring the mist down so nobody can follow us. I went for a late walk around the lanes instead, since this place at twilight is about the closest I’m ever likely to get to Avalon.

No rare and special person, I’m afraid, and no stray dogs. What I did encounter to my great delight was a thrush, singin’ on yon bush, only a few feet away. What music that bird makes, and what unfettered confidence she displays in making it. No wonder she inspired the classic Irish folk song The Jug of Punch.

And when I’m dead, aye and in my grave
No costly tombstone will I have.
Just lay me down in my native peat
With a jug of punch at my head and feet.

And since I’m in the mood for quotations, how about this one from Sir Thomas Mallory. King Arthur’s final words before being taken to Avalon by the three queens:

Comfort thyself, said the king...for I will into the Vale of Avalon to heal me of my grievous wound: and if thou hear never more of me, pray for my soul.

Lucky old Arthur had three rare and special persons. No mention of dogs, though.

No comments: