Thursday 21 July 2011

Pertaining to Planes

I’ve noticed the last couple of evenings that the planes flying low out of East Midlands airport sound louder than usual. That’s odd because the low cloud has been obscuring them from view. You’d think they’d be quieter when there’s a big load of water vapour in the way, wouldn’t you?

Maybe I’m just noticing planes more these days, which is something else that’s odd. I sit here in the middle of Avalon, relishing the silence, and then the roar of a Boeing something-or-other passes unseen overhead. Any other noise disturbing the peace would irritate me. But not the planes. I feel torn; half of me wants to be subsumed into the essence of nature, while the other half wants to spread its physical wings and fly away. I don’t yet see a compromise.

And while I’m contemplating far-flung places, the following track reminds me so much of a beautiful woman in Pennsylvania, a woman I once heard sing. I’ll be going to bed soon.


No comments: