Thursday 21 July 2011

Educational TV.

Tonight I watched a half hour programme on a commercial channel, and for once I sat through the commercial break. I very rarely do that, but just now and again I find it educational. It tells me yet again why I don’t belong here; nothing they’re selling is of any interest to me. And I noticed that the adverts largely fell into one of three categories:

Glamour (cheap)
Lifestyle (trivial)
Domesticity (grey)

Where the hell am I going to go to get away from this ocean of dull plastic? And something I want to ask my American friends (please don’t be offended; this is an honest observation.) Why do all the presenters on American TV shows look as though they’ve just been taken out of a box and wound up? Why does ‘respectable’ have to include hairstyles that look like gel-encrusted wigs? I’m sure real Americans aren’t like that.

OK, shutting up now.

No comments: