Tuesday 12 July 2011

As Time Goes By.

No, not Casablanca this time. Life is giving me a problem at the moment. It’s a bit flat, featureless and frustrating. Everybody I know seems to be moving forward, while I’m not. It’s like being in a fairground watching all my friends riding the rides, while I sit on a bench and wave as they go past.

Interestingly, this isn’t depressing, but it is making me feel increasingly desperate for a kick start. I need to do something, but I can’t see any openings at the moment given the lack of readies and the need to fulfil certain obligations.

The last time this happened I got myself all ready to take a trip to Egypt. But then life came a-rushing into my arms and everything changed dramatically. Can’t expect that to happen again, can I? You never know, I suppose.

--------------------------------------------

On a more substantial and wholesome note, I made a bowl of rice salad yesterday. Just a simple one – rice, broad beans, chives and fresh sage. I can’t stop eating the stuff in multiple spoonsful (spoonfuls?) It’s my current pig out food. Better than Mars Bars and milkshakes, I suppose. If you’re going to comfort eat to fill a hole, best do it healthily.

--------------------------------------------

At the theatre where I used to work there’s a commemorative oak tree, and next to it is a plaque containing a short poem by a little-known English poet whose name sadly eludes me.

An let’n grow
And let’n spread
And let’n live when I be dead.

I love those simple, evocative lines.

The passing of life is a most poignant preoccupation at the moment.

No comments: