Friday 1 July 2011

Avoiding Greasy Stains.

This goes back to something I said months ago, but it bears repeating because I’ve got a new angle on it.

Here’s the scene. I’m at some event like a wedding, or maybe away from home and spending the evening in the hotel bar. An attractive young woman approaches me and indicates interest; in fact, she goes further and lets me know I’m on a promise that night. The balloon that is my ego gets inflated, and the bigger it grows the more my thoughts move along a single track of expectation. But then along comes some other guy, at which point the girl removes my ego balloon and sends it spluttering to the floor. She replaces it with his and they disappear together into the distance.

You wouldn’t believe how often that’s happened to me and it isn’t very nice, not very nice at all. It stings a bit, you know? Apart from anything else, it has you wondering what’s wrong with you. Well, now I think I’ve got it. It’s because I lacked the predatory gene, the classic skill of the womaniser who knows instinctively how to consolidate his position with that type of woman.

This pleases me a lot because it means that those standards I’ve always had but which I’ve only become so fond of recently didn’t get compromised. You see, there’s something else I’ve always believed, too. I don’t hold with the Christian view that ‘sins’ can be redeemed with a few words and a shallow dunking in lukewarm water. To me, the concept of ‘sin’ has nothing to do with rules laid down by God, but is about having and maintaining personal standards, whatever they might be. And to go a stage further, I also believe that if you compromise those standards you get left with a greasy stain that stays with you all your life.

So, the upshot of the above is that I have fewer greasy stains than I otherwise would have had, and all courtesy of cheap women and womanising men. Yay?

I think my reputation with a few people is now in tatters.

No comments: