Sunday 15 December 2013

The Fascination of Fire.

Every evening I lay the fire in the grate with a firelighter, some kindling and a topping of coal. I light it and leave it, then go back every so often to see how it’s doing. Once I see that the coal has caught and is burning nicely, I know I can leave it for half an hour or so before adding more fuel.

Only I don’t. That’s the point at which it becomes hypnotic and I can’t tear myself away. I stand and watch it for ages, fascinated by all that sinuous, searing energy striving ever upwards.

Water falls naturally to rest; fire rises naturally to oblivion.

Which neat little sound byte leads me neatly into the mystery of why, me being a fire sign astrologically, a disproportionate number of the women with whom I’ve had close relationships have been water signs. At least, it would if I felt so inclined. But I don’t.

2 comments:

Anthropomorphica said...

And not air to fan the flames?

I'm afraid I'm a budding pyromaniac, constantly looking around for more to burn... but it is endlessly fascinating.

JJ said...

Come to think of it, there was a Libran lady a long time ago...

And my Chinese ghost was a Gemini...

Oh, well.

My pyromanic tendency first became apparent when I was about seven. I set the field alight behind the houses. Did you ever see the episode of Father Ted where Dougal becomes fixated on the red button in the plane cockpit that says DO NOT PRESS? That's how I was with a box of matches.