Monday 2 December 2013

Life Today

What do you do when your last grain of sustenance is gone and your stomach’s filling up with bile? Get drunk, I suppose, and foster the view that loving life isn’t about being happy or fulfilled, but being grateful for the fact that you still have a seat on the rollercoaster of material illusion. It continues to be of interest.

My landlord’s three dogs attacked me today, but they were only kidding. They just wanted an excuse to wag their tails and lollop when I declined to be intimidated.

And the only point of interest on tonight’s walk was that I was glad the pink dressing gown had gone the way of all flesh. Pink is my second least favourite colour after brown.

And on the subject of going the way of all flesh, I found a grave in the churchyard today that was nearly nine feet long. It dated from the mid 1890’s, and was the final resting place of the rector, his wife, and his sister. They must have been uncommonly tall.

I’m in a very strange mood tonight, courtesy of stars going out. Stars have a curious way of making you disoriented when they go out, but it’s good for the whisky trade.

No comments: