Monday 23 December 2013

Another Recollection for the Dark Nights.

This song must surely have one of the best intros and finales of anything in the pop spectrum. I gather it was based on a real life relationship crisis, presumably between Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Hence the line:

Break the silence
Damn the dark, damn the light

Nice line.

It takes me back a bit, of course. It was the beginning of the photography years. It saw the disintegration of a marriage and the start of a new, ultimately disastrous relationship. It accompanied a move to Northumberland, probably the wildest part of England. It settled nicely each side of a shift from a safe, organised, left brain career into a more Bohemian, insecure, but infinitely more enjoyable right brain one. And the finale, which starts at 3.05, was the theme tune to the BBC’s coverage of Formula 1 motor racing. It wasn’t unusual for me to have it playing in the car very loud while I pretended to be Ayrton Senna. Very irresponsible, I know, but I was careful with my choice of roads so there were no wrecks and nobody drownded.

And just as a significant afterthought, the girl kneeling in the rain is Zoe to a tee. She’s left my orbit now and is presumably heading for the further reaches of the solar system. She was the last of my gems to take flight this year, about which more on New Years Eve maybe. Or maybe not. It’s bad enough having your treasure chest emptied, without talking about it as well.

And do you know what really pisses me off? Google won’t let you comment on YouTube tracks now until you’ve answered their impertinent questions, which I decline to do. No more pearls of wisdom from me to illuminate the unhallowed halls of YouTube.

Anyway, here’s the Fleetwood Mac track.

No comments: