Saturday 28 December 2013

A Sprite in a Shop.

So, here’s a funny thing. I mentioned in a recent post that I have a prospective new story running through my head involving a water sprite. She’s the same character as appeared in an earlier story, and might briefly be described as a fully developed, long haired young woman who is very small in stature. In fact, the MC in that story mistakes her for a child when he first sees her at a distance.

Well, I was in a shop today, and what should come walking around the corner wearing a store assistant’s uniform but a fully developed, long haired young woman who was very small in stature. Her face suggested early twenties and she was normally formed in every respect, apart from the fact that she was definitely less than four feet tall. I’ve never seen the like before.

What does one do when confronted by such a vision, except stare and think: ‘Heavens! Here is my very water sprite, walking around the corner wearing a store assistant’s uniform. How odd.’ She noticed.

‘Is there something you’re looking for?’ she asked.

You have to think quickly in such a situation, so that’s what I did.

‘Yes. I was wondering whether you have original Listerine. All I can find are the flavoured ones that come in funny colours.’

A short conversation ensued, sadly without resolution on the Listerine issue, and I think I got away with it. But I still found it odd. When I was deep into writing fiction, stories would often find echoes in real life, but only after they were written. I’ve never had one that did it in advance before.

Eventually I decided she was no water sprite, on account of the fact that she had traces of acne around her face. Have you ever seen a water sprite with acne? Me neither.

No comments: