Tuesday 10 December 2013

Being Accosted and Distracted.

I thought my number was up tonight. I was walking along Mill Lane when a 4x4 approached and slowed. It came to a halt beside me and the window slid down.

‘I’m about to be challenged,’ I thought. ‘Neighbourhood Watch is being as good as its word and the locals have had enough of this strange man prowling the lanes at dead of night. Maybe the time has come to be chased to the burning mill with pitchforks. Resistance is useless.’

‘Resistance is useless,’ said the driver, talking across the man sitting impassively in the passenger seat.

No he didn’t. What he actually said was ‘Can you tell me the way to Jasmine House?’ So I did, and they drove off, and that was that.

The night sky being clear, I continued to re-acquaint myself with the constellations. It’s easy to forget which is which when you haven’t seen them for eight months. I expect sailors coming home from the sea have the same problem with their kids.

*  *  *

Meanwhile, on the Duh Vinci Code front, tonight’s installment was a let-down. After the oasis of last night’s personal connection, Dan was back to his irritating worst tonight. The irrational plot points and sheer immaturity of style were so bad that I can’t be bothered to give examples. The overall plot is good and the characters are good, especially Sophie who continues to enthral, so I’m soldiering on. I just wish it were better written so I didn’t keep getting distracted by its sloppiness.

No comments: