Sunday 8 December 2013

Following The Duh Vinci Code.

Having read the latest instalment of The Da Vinci Code, I was going to throw all sorts of brickbats at Dan Brown tonight. Eventually I decided not to bother, partly because he’s getting into anagrams and the story is pulling me along quite nicely (being an ex crossword addict, I like anagrams) and partly because something more interesting has come up.

PHI.

PHI?

Yes, PHI.

There’s a young woman who works in Sainsbury’s, you see, who has unusually long legs relative to the length of her torso, and here’s the conversation that I’m aching should take place on Wednesday:

‘Excuse me.’

‘Yes.’

‘I wonder whether you’d mind if I measure the distance from your head to your belly button, and then the distance from your belly button to your feet.’

‘Why on earth would you want to do that?’

‘Because Dan Brown says the ratio of one to the other must be 1.618:1. It’s what Leonardo’s Vetruvian Man is all about. Only I reckon you probably break the rule, which would make you a rare phenomenon.’

‘Really?’

‘Apparently.’

‘Gosh. How interesting. OK, go on then. Should I stand up or lie down?’

‘Lie down.’

‘Prone or supine?’

There’s no answer to that.

*  *  *

Meanwhile, Sophie is disappointed that Langdon got to the anagram before she did. Frankly, so am I.

No comments: