Wednesday 18 December 2013

My Best Bear at Christmas.

Mel reminded me tonight that it’s only a week to Christmas Eve. That’s frightening; another year nearly gone already.

Here we are, however, so I suppose it’s time I trotted out my perennial Christmas post of the Rupert Bear Frog Song video. It’s my second favourite Christmas vid after A Fairytale of New York.

And I’ve mentioned often enough that Rupert was my much-loved Christmas companion as a kid, so it’s apposite that I should have first watched this video in a town centre pub one lunchtime at Christmas, 1984. My life was about to undergo probably the biggest of all its many changes, and it was nice to have dear Rupert in the van as herald.

And just in case you think it proves what a rabid old sentimentalist I am, I’d like to point out that my favourite character in the film is the Victor Meldrew owl.

(I’m becoming quite the Victor Meldrew myself these days. My latest is ‘Pink and bottle green together? I don’t bloody believe it!’)

No comments: