Saturday 7 December 2013

Dealing with Dan.

I said that I would concentrate on the plot of The Da Vinci Code and forget the questionable writing, didn’t I? I did, and so I am, and so far the plot is sustaining me.

The problem is that it’s difficult not to keep falling out of the plot when you’re constantly being distracted by elements lacking credibility, by confusion of tenses, misuse of subjunctives, and people saying the same thing twice without reasonable cause. Maybe the last of those is a creative writing device. Mr Brown is, after all, a professor of creative writing, so maybe he knows something I never thought of: that characters need to say the same thing twice so that we dullards who make up the readership will wake up and take notice the second time around.

One thing he does get unequivocally right, though, is the process of persuading us to have no qualms about liking and trusting the female protagonist, Sophie Neveu (notwithstanding the unfortunate tendency of her name to constantly provoke a troublesome allusion to Beaujolais Nouveau.) After all, how could anybody fail to like and trust a woman with unstyled burgundy hair which frames the warmth of her face? I couldn’t, certainly.

But over and above that is the fact that she is so far proving to be more clear headed, resourceful, rational and intuitive than the male protagonist, Robert Langdon. Interestingly, this appears to have something to do with the fact that she is a French female who speaks English with a French accent, whereas he is a mere American male who probably speaks English like a true Bostonian. There are several hints so far that Mr Brown is something of a Francophile, a tendency to which sensibility it would be unreasonable of me to disapprove. Maybe he watched A Vous la France, too. And got the book and did the exercises…

And so, in true Brownian style, I will repeat myself: so far the plot is sustaining me. I’ll keep you posted if I find anything notable to say on the matter.

No comments: