Tuesday 3 December 2013

Rhiannon's Birds.

I was just reading a little article about Rhiannon (only because Stevie Nicks wrote and sang a song called Rhiannon, you understand.)

It seems that Rhiannon was the Welsh goddess of horses. (You wouldn’t think horses would have their very own goddess, would you? I mean, how far down the scale does it go? Is there, for example, a goddess of slugs?) Anyway, Welsh horses have a goddess and she’s called Rhiannon.

So, the story in the Mabinogion is about how, when you’re down and in dire difficulty, and irrespective of whether or not your problem has anything to do with horses, Rhiannon sends three birds flying towards you along the path. One bird is pure white, another is emerald green, and the third is gold. The three beautiful birds put you to sleep, and when you wake up, all your troubles are over.

What, like, you’re dead?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If all your troubles are over, then yes, you're probably dead. But, guess it wouldn't hurt to send a prayer out to Rhiannon.
n.

JJ said...

But do you think she would forgive me my slug joke? I've been on the wrong end of a goddess's wrath before (or she might have been a water sprite.) Anyway, I got wet.

Anonymous said...

Oh, she didn't mind the slug joke. But my husband did; he made the gravy.
Actually, he thought it was pretty funny, and the gravy *was* a bit thick.
n.

JJ said...

You had me confused for a minute, Nancy. I'd forgotten that I made two slug jokes this week. They must be the flavour of the moment - or Thanksgiving. And do tell Mr Nancy that I like the hairstyle. It's even more minimalist than mine, which pleases me no end.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, must have missed one of the slug jokes.
Mr Nancy's minimalist hair is very easy to style.

JJ said...

You mean place him at a convenient height between the book case and the dining table while you're polishing?