Wednesday 18 December 2013

Maintaining the Principle.

Google is suggesting that I make extra money over the holiday by carrying ads on my blog. Well, I said from the outset that I would never demean my blog by carrying adverts, and so I won’t. There are those, like Google, who believe that commerce is king, and there are others, like me, who view it as a grubby opportunist determined to keep the masses eating crumbs while it grabs all the caviar and cream cakes for itself. I see this as a matter of standards, but maybe it’s just a matter of how you’re made. Either way, definitely no ads.

By an odd coincidence, I was flicking through the TV channels tonight and caught the end of the 1951 Alistair Sim film, Scrooge. Some claim that it’s the best version of A Christmas Carol ever made, and it’s certainly my favourite. But then, Alistair Sim has always been one of my favourite actors, so tonight I searched out a biography of him.

I learned that he once sued a baked beans manufacturer for having another actor mimic his voice in a TV ad. He said it misrepresented him because he would never ‘prostitute his art’ to advertise anything. He won the case, and I’m glad he did.

No comments: