Friday 23 August 2013

Taking the Circuitous Route.

I had a letter a week or so ago from a government department which, for reasons too complicated to go into, makes a regular payment to me. This payment has to be re-calculated every year because of its relationship with another source of income, and this year they got it wrong and were paying me too little. I rang the number on the letter.

Well, of course, these days you don’t get to speak to the government department which made the erroneous calculation; you get to speak to a call centre. Fortunately, the call centre which this particular government department uses is a good one. The operator understood the circumstances immediately, pulled up my notes and told me what the bureaucrats had done wrong. (Seems some clerk didn’t know the difference between ‘per calendar month’ and ‘every four weeks.’ Amazing, but there you are.)

‘But,’ said the call centre operative, ‘there’s nothing I can do about it because I don’t work for the government department. You’ll have to contact them yourself.’

Fair enough; I wrote them a letter, and today I got a re-calculated amount which is correct. There was no covering letter acknowledging my correspondence, much less an apology, but at least they’ve got the amount right.

And that’s how things work now. A government department gets something wrong, so I have to call a call centre to discover the nature of the error, and then I have to write to the government department to tell them what the call centre says they’ve done wrong. What a convoluted, over-complicated and increasingly dysfunctional world we live in.

I once worked for a government department, and my job involved the making of calculations. If I got one wrong, I would expect an irate person on the other end of a phone line, bending my personal ear in no uncertain terms. We didn’t work from a ring-fenced establishment, protected from the wrath of those we had wronged by a third party in a call centre. There was direct contact, and that gives you all the more reason not to get it wrong in the first place.

No comments: