Friday 2 August 2013

An Issue with Water.

We’ve had several downpours today, and you can imagine how relieved I was to find that the roof repairs seem to have done the trick and there was no water running into the spare bedroom.

Ah, but, it seems the Water Deva was flattering to deceive. She’s had it in for me ever since I innocently spurned her advances in a wood in Ireland seventeen years ago. (You think I’m joking? I’m not joking. It’s possible that I’m being delusional – you would have to make up your own mind if I told you the story, which I’m not going to – but I’m not joking.)

After a particularly heavy downpour just as it was getting dark, I saw water flowing across my office floor. It had its source in the kitchen, where a downspout was never re-routed when the kitchen extension was built. It runs down an inside wall and into a drain under the floor. The drain must have been either full or blocked, because water was spurting out around the bottom of the pipe and creating a nice little flood in two of my downstairs rooms.

Another call to the agent on Monday, I think. And isn’t it just typical that these things always happen either at the weekend or over public holidays? But then, if you’re going to cause somebody problems, I suppose it makes sense to do so at the most inconvenient of times.

No comments: